2012-12-13

My Process of Learning German

    The true courage is doing what you are afraid of or escape from. When I was just into tenth grade, the school asked all the students to learn a second foreign language. There were five languages can let us choose - Japanese, Spanish, German, French and Korean. I finally chose German as my second language for two reasons: first, I do not have any interest in any second foreign language; second, there were almost few people who chose German,  so I want to learn a language that was not many people can speak in Taiwan. There were only four hours a week for the German class, and lasted only two semesters; hence I did not learn a lot from it. In addition, the German teacher is a foreigner, knowing it was needless for us to learn too deep, so she nearly put little pressure on us. The teacher's easy teaching way and my scornful attitude resulted in the failure in the final exam. I was flunked by my teacher. Moreover, in the end of the next semester, most of the classmates could only say "Hallo, guten Tag" and count from "eins"(one) to "zehn"(ten). Under this circumstance, my process of leaning German is approximately failure. 
    When I went to University one year ago, the school also asked English-major students to choose a second foreign language; this time I also chose German for the same two reasons. Little did I know that I would meet a German teacher, who change my attitude toward German and my way of studying direction. He is Professor Chang, the teacher of my second foreign language. His professional instruction and extremely strict manner made me have no excuse to slack off when studying German. Although it was painstaking due to the complicate grammar, I got the sense of achievement during the process of learning a new language. However, I clearly understood that if I only took the second language course to sophomore, I would forget all the German which I have learned before graduation; it was quite pity that I have spent nearly two years taking German class and abundant effort studying German. Furthermore, English is a key to the world, but only a tool for communicating to me; because I am interested in the English practical area instead of literature, such as translation or commercial English. Consequently, I need to cultivate the second professional specialty; therefore in the second semester I apply for double-major in German. Now I double-major in German and English. I expect that through bringing my trilingual advantage into full play and strengthening my professional ability, I will get more opportunities of working or teach Chinese in Germany...etc. I believe now I do my best to finish what I should do, I will have more freedom and ability to do what I want to do. 

沒有留言:

張貼留言